Select Board Notes, March 4, 2024

Photo Credit: Town of Belmont Annual Report

Override Impact Calculator

The Board announced an override calculator has been added to the town website.

It allows homeowners to enter their address, and the calculator will show how the $8.4 million override, if passed, will impact their property taxes.

The calculator breaks the information down to include the impact of the debt exclusion funding for the library and skating rink, the cost of the Community Preservation Act and the override.

The vote on the override is April 2.

Gas Leaks

In January, there were natural gas leaks reported at several municipal buildings and schools, twice forcing the evacuation of Winn Brook Elementary school.

At that time, Belmont began to look at the gas systems in all municipal buildings to ensure there were no outstanding issues.

Monday night, the Select Board learned the project is proceeding, with just four buildings left to be inspected: the two fire stations, the DPW facility and the police station.

All buildings inspected so far have passed.

Override

The Select Board issued a statement about its stance on the override.

“I thought it was appropriate to clarify where [the board] stands on the override,” said Chair Roy Epstein.

The statement affirms the Board’s support for the April 2 ballot measure, emphasizes the board’s commitment to cut expenses, and outlines work being done to increase revenue.

At the Board’s meeting last week, Tim Duncan, who is chair of the No Override Committee, had questioned whether a flier outlining some proposed cuts was accurate. Invest in Belmont, a group that supports the override, mailed the flier to residents.

The Board this week said that they did not review the flier, but it appeared to draw information from proposed cuts identified by the town. The Board said cuts will be coming, and that some town employees have already been notified that they would be laid off if the override fails.

“It is happening now. This is real,” said Vice Chair Elizabeth Dionne.

Order of Conditions

The Board met with the Conservation Commission and representatives of the Belmont Middle and High School Building Committee to resolve a dispute about a path at Claypit Pond.

The Conservation Commission was refusing to sign off on a certificate of compliance that would allow the Massachusett School Building Authority (MSBA) to transfer the remaining $5 million it owes to Belmont for the new school building complex.

The Commission wanted the town to make good on a promise to rebuild a popular running path around the pond, which was partially demolished during reconstruction.

“Forgive me for saying this, but it’s almost like holding the high school hostage for this,” said Chair Roy Epstein, noting that the town had to continue paying interest on borrowed money until the MSBA money comes through.

Commission representatives said they didn’t want to hold anything hostage, but were looking for a commitment in principle to rebuild the path.

The Select Board said it couldn’t guarantee any funding, especially with the town facing a huge budget shortfall.

In the end, Bill Lovallo, chair of the building committee, offered to do the design work for the path (pending committee approval).

“We’re not going to be able to build it, but we can help design it,” Lovallo said.

With the design in hand, the Conservation Commission will have a leg up when applying for funding from the Community Preservation Act Committee.

The Commission agreed to that proposal, and issued a certificate of compliance, clearing the way for MSBA to reimburse the town.

Outdoor Dining Returns

Belmont Center outdoor dining will begin May 6 and extend through Sept. 15.

According to town engineer Glenn Clancy, the impact on traffic and parking will be less than in past years, with six rather than 15 parking spaces dedicated to outdoor dining.

Donation Accepted

The Board accepted a $1,500 donation to pay for an Economic Development Committee event.

The networking event is Tuesday, March 12 from 5:30 to 8:30 at Hanami in Cushing Square.

LGBTQ Alliance

The Board approved the installation of 25 signs on the delta on Leonard Street from March 27 through April 3.

Jesse Floyd

Jesse Floyd

Jesse A. Floyd is a member of The Belmont Voice staff. Jesse can be contacted at jfloyd@belmontvoice.org.